Down in Kitty's Bassment

A flag-wavin', Earth-lovin', independent Pagan-in-a-giant-red-cornfield point of view. Believe it or not, there are some open minds in Nebraska. Oh, and I love NFL football too.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

The three month absence make-up post

I've been gone for a long time. Not gone from the internet, just taking a break from a lot of it. Of course my brain hasn't been shut off, and I have been thinking a lot.

#1 - It's football time baby! I eagerly watched the first preseason game between the Oakland Raiders and the Philadelphia Eagles. I know, preseason doesn't count, right? Well I always watch preseason games because of my fantasy football addiction. I'm "scouting" for my teams, looking for that breakout sleeper I can draft in late rounds and expect miracles from. I have 4 fantasy teams this season (one more than last year) and I have to admit it feels overwhelming at this point. But I know that as the drafts happen the bulk of my attention will fall to one or two of those teams, either because there's a lot of good active players in that league or because I drafted a team with the potential to kick some major booty. (If I am lucky enough to snag Larry Johnson, I will most definately pay close attention to that team.) I have never drafted higher than 4th pick though, which requires study and creativity. And that's where preseason comes in.

#2 - Nebraska's Senate race. I watched the debate eagerly yesterday (since they preempted my second-favorite soap to show it). Like a horny sailor on shore leave for the first time in months, it went ugly early. Imagine two millionaires slugging it out on TV. Ricketts compares Ben Nelson to Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton, which is laughable because while Nelson is listed as a Democrat, he is the most Republican Democrat in the Senate. And everyone in Nebraska knows it, including Pete Ricketts. Ricketts bought the primary, and he is trying to buy the regular election. But I think it's going to take some Ohio or New Mexico type shenanigans for him to win. (Read "Armed Madhouse" by Greg Palast to see what that's all about.) But for now, the contest is fun to watch. ** Note - the author of this blog is neither Republican nor Democrat, neither fully conservative nor liberal. They don't make a political party that represents all my positions.

It's not like there's much choice anyway. They are both in favor of eliminating the "death tax" so that folks like Paris Hilton (or their children) don't have to pay taxes when their parents kick off. (Since this tax only kicks in when the estate is over $1.5 MILLION, tell me how eliminating it benefits the "average" Nebraskan?) They are both pro-life even to the point of denying federal funding for stem cell research. (Yep, they want to protect the medical waste that no one wants but couldn't care less about those of us already born and struggling to make it in the world right this second.) They are both rich white Christian men (only the second description fits me). And if elected each would disappear into the beltway, only to be heard from again in six years when it's time to campaign again.

I have some errands to do now but will attempt to write more later before work.

It IS good to be back though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home