Down in Kitty's Bassment

A flag-wavin', Earth-lovin', independent Pagan-in-a-giant-red-cornfield point of view. Believe it or not, there are some open minds in Nebraska. Oh, and I love NFL football too.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

While we're victimizing white male red-state evangelical Christians...

I was googling some sites for my son the other day when I stumbled upon the little feud between Billy O'Reilly and Jon Stewart. http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/12/07.html

I hate to inform Bill (because apparantly his research department didn't clue him in) but Jesus Christ was not born on December 25. How do I know this? The Bible, HIS Bible, says so. Of course it doesn't come right out and say it, but it's there if you read carefully. I could quote scripture here because I have at least five Bibles on my bookshelf, but someone else did a fabulous job of that already. http://www.revneal.org/Writings/jesusbirth.htm
I found an even better page the other night but I can't find it now. It spoke to climate conditions in late December in Israel being too cold and boggy for large numbers of people to be travelling by beast and on foot many miles to be counted for the census. The Romans would not have taken the census during a time of year when they could not expect people to turn out. Also, the Bible clearly states in the gospels that shepherds were out in the fields watching their flocks by night. This would not have happened this time of year. The sheep would have been kept in a corral close to town. Back then no one cared when someone was born anyway. Date of death was far more important. Yet Good Friday's date changes every year. (Must not have been that significant huh?) The date of December 25 was chosen by a Roman emporer who wanted to convert pagans to Christianity because it was the close to the holiday celebrating the solstice (the rebirth of the Sun). Take out the re- in rebirth and change the u in sun to an o and presto! It's Christmas!

Let me ask you this, Mr. O'Reilly. Did you have a Christmas tree? Holly? Mistletoe? Most Christians do. What does this have to do with Christmas? Were their firs and pines in Bethlehem? I can't say as I've never been there, but my guess is no. So what's the tree all about? It is brought into the house for Yule (winter solstice) to signify that the Holly King's reign over the earth is finished and that the earth will soon be green again with flowers and crops. See, you couldn't have been celebrating Christ's birth in December because he wasn't born in December. That would be silly, like celebrating Martin Luter King Jr. Day in September or Independence Day in April. Congratulations, Mr. O'Reilly, you've celebrated Yule! Welcome to paganism. (Was it good for you?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home