Down in Kitty's Bassment

A flag-wavin', Earth-lovin', independent Pagan-in-a-giant-red-cornfield point of view. Believe it or not, there are some open minds in Nebraska. Oh, and I love NFL football too.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Essay Time

My 14 year old son is trying to write an essay. He's in WAAAY above his head. We discussed many different topics he could write about and he actually is running with one for which there is a wealth of information out there. (I always used to pick interesting topics that NO ONE else ever researched.) In fact there might be too much information out there.

He's writing about the damage Wal-mart is doing to the American economy. I googled it for him and emailed him about ten different articles from which he could glean information. I should have sent him two, because he is overwhelmed. He doesn't know how to go about it. I described the process to him: statement, supporting facts, conclusion. I gave him too many facts not realizing that he doesn't have the skills to skim and pick out the important stuff. He's confused and down in his little cave now. Maybe we should have just written about pizza.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home