Down in Kitty's Bassment

A flag-wavin', Earth-lovin', independent Pagan-in-a-giant-red-cornfield point of view. Believe it or not, there are some open minds in Nebraska. Oh, and I love NFL football too.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

On a lighter note: Kitty's Book Club

Disclaimer: It's not as grand as Oprah's. (Did you know that whenever Oprah has a book on the show it sells out of virtually every bookstore in the country within 24 hours?)

The last real book* I read was "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden. I read it because I saw the trailer in the theater before "A History of Violence" and I thought to myself "ooooooooh, pretty". I definately wanted to see the movie, and I knew I would not be able to live with myself if I didn't read the book first. I have wanted to read it since I started working at the bookstore. The movie's imminent release just gave me a deadline.

I won't tell much because I do not want to ruin the book for any of my gentle readers. It is the cinderella story of a fictional geisha named Nitta Sayuri. The reason I added the word "fictional" is that she seems so REAL. Even after reading the entire book in less tha 24 hours I have a hard time believing that the book I read is kept in the fiction section and not the biographies. The prose is absolutely beautiful without being too flowery and wordy. It took me very little time to get completely sucked into this book. I spent the rest of the weekend wishing I could be a geisha too. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening for this white middle-America mother of three. Anyway, here's the Oprah-esque pitch: Trust me; it's great. Go out to your local bookstore right now and buy it. You won't be sorry.

For the last two weeks since I finished "Geisha" I have been trying to wade through Maureen Dowd's "Are Men Necessary?" I read the blurb and thought it intriguing. Parts of it are intriguing, I guess. The author tosses a bit of humor in once in a while. But I can't get into it. I read a lot of nonfiction, and most of that is current events/political (of every ilk). But this book has exceedingly long chapters and it's just not grabbing me. I really want to get through this book, but I just can't. It is just as dry to me as the rest of the NY Times op-ed page.

Next I will read "The Regime" by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins. I got hooked on the Left Behind series as a truck driver and I just have to read them all. I am obviously nothing of a religious sort of person anymore as all that got me absolutely nowhere in terms of having a happy marriage and paying bills. I just read them for fun.

*real book - by this I mean literature. I occasionally pick up those little monthly romances for some mindless quick reading in between Su Doku puzzles. While they can be fascinating and engrossing, I don't count them in the same group as Austen, Dickens, Toni Morrison, Neil Gaiman, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home